Sunday, March 17, 2013

Stop Punishing Yourself

     I always find it funny whenever someone makes reference to "Good old fashioned Catholic guilt." Why is this even a thing?  Every time I hear this I want to kindly inform everyone about the fact that we have confession... which, if I may add, is probably one of the coolest sacraments ever. We can commit even the most horrible of sins, but as long as we come into reconciliation with a humble and contrite heart, we are forgiven. Why is it then that we still have this idea of feeling guilty for what we've done? 
     I'm telling you folks, God is a way better "forgiver" than we will ever be. I sometimes come into contact with amazing people who are convinced that they have been damaged beyond repair as a result of some sin they previously committed. What makes this even more saddening is that they tell me they've already been to reconciliation and received absolution! In their minds, they know that God has forgiven them. But in their hearts, they're convinced that that's just "too good to be true."
     We have this awful habit of trying to prove ourselves to God. We want to show him that although He has already forgiven us, we will continue to live in sadness and despair for what we've done. He doesn't want that! He made us for happiness and love! What I'm about to tell you is going to be difficult to comprehend because it is so far from what we are told in our society today... God doesn't love you because you're good, He loves you because you're His.
     Stop living in darkness as a way of trying to punish yourself. Jesus has already taken the punishment upon himself! The best way to thank Him is to repent for your sins and take advantage of all the love and grace He pours upon us.
     Okay, I've finished my very small and somewhat meaningless rant. Go and enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment