Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Daily Gift

     I left my dorm building earlier this week and knew my day was off to a good start from the moment I stepped outside. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. It may sound like I'm describing a scene straight out of Snow White, but the sun was shining, a few white clouds were passing through the sky, and there was a subtle breeze. I felt like I was in a movie - walking to class listening to my cheerful music while my hair swayed to the wind. I know, it's so cheesy. But, you all know exactly what kind of day I'm talking about. It was one of those mornings that just makes you stop and revel in the beauty of it. 
     On my way back from class, I passed by the library to find a pink banner hanging from the balcony. It read, "Will you be my valentine?" I immediately snapped a picture and thought, "This is the sweetest thing." Imagine, you are walking around campus on a beautiful day thinking it couldn't possibly be any prettier until you look up and see that someone has put a banner up for you? Whatever person received that message must have felt that their "secret admirer" was not only giving them the gift of a lovely message, but of a marvelous day as well.


     While reflecting on how happy the recipient must have felt, I realized the silliness of my thoughts. I shouldn't be speculating on how happy this person felt, I should be acknowledging the fact that I've been receiving an even greater gift on a daily basis. That wonderful day I've been describing, God made that for me! Stop whatever you're doing right now and think about the most amazing sight of creation you've ever seen. Now remind yourself of the fact that all of that was made by God as an act of love for you, for me, for all of humanity. 
     It is apparent that whoever put the effort forth to make and hang the banner up feels a lot of love toward his/her valentine. Can you imagine how much love God feels toward us if He made all of creation as our gift? I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around that. Although I have trouble fathoming the extent of this love, I will admit that it makes me feel pretty great. Sure, no guy made and hung up a valentine's day banner for me. But, someone created the entire universe for me... and with that, I'm one happy girl!

1 comment:

  1. What a Valentine we have in God! He extends His love to us everyday. It can be easy to overlook His graciousness. Thank you for the reminder to stop, accept his gift, and thank him!

    ReplyDelete