Tuesday, January 22, 2013

40th Anniversary of Roe vs. Wade

     Today marks the 40th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, the supreme court decision that legalized abortion in 1973. Since that time, a striking number of more than 55 million babies have been murdered as a result of the culture of death that we are currently living in. Every time I hear that number, it fills my heart with aching sadness.
     I came across an article today where a pro-choice and a pro-life activist state their opinions on the current state of the abortion debate. This article, which you can find here, frustrated me to no end. Go ahead and take a look if you'd like. It's worth the read. 
     I think there is an underlying problem here. Women have allowed themselves to fall into the trap of not recognizing our ability to carry life as a gift. The ability to carry a baby in our womb for 9 months and then give birth is not a right; it is not something we fought for. We were born with this gift and with a duty to use it correctly.
     Deciding to have an abortion is a decision to "fix something that has gone wrong." The pregnancy came at the wrong time... The pregnancy came from the wrong person... etc. But we need to recognize that becoming pregnant is not something that went wrong, but rather something that went very right. Carrying life is what we are created for! It's intertwined in our entire female anatomy! 
     I understand that sometimes, this gift of becoming pregnant can be seen as an inconvenience. I plan every single moment of my life. Therefore, I can imagine how frightening it would be to find out that I'm carrying a child at a moment in my life where I am not suited to care for him. However, that does not mean someone else isn't. Adoption allows us to comply with God's will of respecting life, while allowing the baby to be raised in a family who is much more well prepared for his presence.  God chose to bring each human life into the world at a specific time for a reason. We have absolutely no right to question His timing simply because it doesn't fit our schedules. 
     Today is not a day for arguing over this topic. Rather, it is a day of prayer for a change to take place in the hearts of our society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment